Translate

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Interview with Stik and some more Street-Art

Before I start, let me apologise for slacking off too much recently. No excuse, I just couldn't be arsed!

Here are some more pictures of the art around Brick Lane. Enjoy!



















Unknown artist, Fashion St. Some people attribute this piece to Banksy (it's got perspex over it). I'm not so sure as it is not as subtle as Banksy's usual style.


















Unknown artist, Fashion St. I like this African Head, though I would like to meet the artist to acertain info on the Devils ears and the red stripe on the face.

















Unknown artist, Fashion St. Sorry about this one being blurred, though I really lilke the image. It's quite disappointing that someone has seen fit to place a sticker over it though.


















Unknown artist, Fahion St. "Death Dance" A truly great piece


















Unknown artist, Fashion St. Great painting and I like the little "spudbomb" character on the right.













Unknown artist, Grimsby St. Sorry it's a bit dark. I think it is an ants head. What do you think?


















Unkown artists, Fashion St. This is one of the best walls around Brick Lane. I like all the pieces, particularly the woman injecting herself (click on image for an enlargement)


















Unknown artist, Fashion St. I always wanted a pair of Kaleidoscopic glasses!














Here is another of my favourite artists, I like monkeys, though these stylised ones are among the best I've ever seen. I like the way that no two of them has the same expression. To see more go to 93 Feet East on Brick Lane.














Unknown artist, Redchurch St. Unfortunately, someone has ripped some of this piece away. I only hope that none of the message is missing.
The other day me and Son of Recession were passing by Old St. station and he gave a gasp of amazement. He had spotted a shadow that he wanted to reproduce. I decided to take some photos of him at work (remembering he likes to stay anonymous) and here they are





















One of the great things about watching Son of Recession work in publuic is the reception he gets. He swears blind that he is not in it for the fame, but when people stop and speak to him and take pictures and congratulate him on his work. as you may remember, not only does Son of Recession make shadows of street objects in "Fragile" tape, he also draws peoples shadows in marker pen and makes them look like barbed-wire. Here are some photos of my shadow that he did live in an interview I did with him (you can still see this interview, just scroll down). Here are the photos of my shadow.

















Here is my shadow (click to enlarge)



And here is me "giving the finger". Interestingly, I only noticed later that my middle finger was facing towards the financial district of the "City of London". Quite apt!

And here is some more of Son of Recesion's work.













I have taken Son of Recession to task over his religious imagery a number of times (see interview), though it seems to me that he may well be questioning some religious practices without consciously realising it.
















I like these because they combine two of Son of Recessions "modi operandi", both the "Fragile" tape and his penchant for outlining peoples' shadows.

















I am reliably informed that this is somebody's shadow, though I really think it is a giant fish-head!













Son of Recession piece, Grimsby St. I don't know if the Arabic writing was written by the artist (which I doubt) or was added by someone else, I will ask him to clarify that. Also, is someone can translate the text, I would be very grateful.

















Son of Recession (again!). Shadow of a taxi-driver, Fashion St.














And the man himself! Posing next to a piece on Whitecross St.

Well, that's enough Son of Recession over-kill! Next is an interview with "Stik". You will probably be familiar with his work if you live around London as he has had both commissioned pieces and illegal pieces. Watch out for my dissing him on this in the interview, though he is very sarcastic in return. It's the most excruciating interview for me so far as I am quite drunk in it and Stik finds a level of sarcasm that went over my head at the time. But I think it was all in good stead.

Here is some of Stik's work for your visual pleasure!
Whitecross St. Street-Art exhibition.




Fournier St. off Brick Lane. This is one of my all-time favourite pieces by any artist. For a discussion see the interview.
The interview was conducted in front of this piece (as with all photos on this blog you can click to enlarge).
And here is the interview itself.

To see more of both these artists work and more of the art-scene around London you can go to Claude Crommelin's flickr site at: www.flickr.com/photos/claudelondon
This Thursday is "First Thursday", where every gallery in and around Brick Lane opens its doors. I will be there as ever, and the report WILL be uploaded to the blog the next day.





No comments:

Post a Comment