Translate

Wednesday 9 June 2010

Brick Lane Area

Well, after a few "technical issues" with my camera, I have decided to explain a bit about the area I am covering and to share a few gems from my cameraphone.

To see a map of the area, which goes from Aldgate East underground staion in the south to the Hoxton area and Old St. underground station in the north just go to any map page (google maps/streetmap etc.) and type in "Brick Lane"




One of the pieces that actually inspired this blog I actually saw about 2 years ago. It's by Laser and is written on a piece of tarpaulin on a run-down building.

































Aplogies for the quality of the pic, but as I said, it was taken on my phone. The message really gets to me though.


Not all art on Brick Lane is so serious though, and this is one of the reasons I like the art in the area. Have a look at this -


















Anyone familiar with West Indian patois will recognise "Blood Clot" (if not you can probably google it), but have a look at this -

















This guy and his mate were drunkenly ambling past as I took the pic and this guy posed right under the offending slogan. pointed this out to his mate and he nearly fell over laughing and informed me that the guy is indeed a blood claaat. He told his friend and they both walked off laughing and shouting the offensive line.
I have a lot of fun doing this blog, and you meet all sorts on Brick Lane, though soon I will be serious in reviewing gallery shows and interviewing the artists involved (I went to a show last night and the interview will appear in a few days time).
Well, that's all for now folks! Don't forget though that this blog will becaome more professional as I go along (and when I sort out my camera issues!)
mancpete












































No comments:

Post a Comment